An oral cancer screening (OCS) can effectively spot cancer early in the process. With oral cancer, most cases start on cells on the outside of the tissue of the mouth. Over time, cancer can move deeper into the tissue, where serious issues may start to occur. Thus, with oral cancer screenings, if the cancer is caught early, it reduces the risk of having to undergo treatment that is highly invasive and often entails numerous side effects.
When it comes to oral cancer, there are a variety of symptoms that may arise, including:
- Teeth becoming loose
- Red or white patches in the mouth
- Sores in the mouth that bleed
- Swelling or inflammation
- Swelling or enlarged lymph nodes
- Issues with speaking
Please contact Glow Family Dental in Duncanville, TX if you are experiencing any of these listed symptoms.
The Oral Cancer Screening Procedure
At Glow Family Dental, we want to make this screening as relaxing as it can be. Dr. Carlos Martinez and our team will thoroughly describe the steps in the process to reduce stress levels and put you at ease. The general process will include these steps:
- Risk assessment
- A closer look into the patients’ health history
- The dentist will look at the inside of the patient’s mouth to inspect for white or red patches and mouth sores. The dentist will also check the mouth and throat area for any lumps or abnormalities that may exist
Oral Cancer Screening Results
If Dr. Carlos Martinez discovers any signs of cancer or pre-cancer, they may recommend:
- A follow-up visit to inspect if the problem area has worsened or improved
- A biopsy procedure to remove a cell sample o check for cancer
Give us a call or email us at Glowfrontdesk@gmail.com to book an oral cancer screening today. Our friendly and experienced staff are more than happy to provide you with the support and comfort you may need. We look forward to hearing from you and will see you soon!